Thursday, July 3, 2014

Tommy Girl Skirt-Button-up Gathered Skirt

I needed a sewing win. I needed one bad. My third June pattern testing took a lot out of me. I hit a snag in my first Moneta, it's still awaiting some major seam ripping. A "quick" skirt was languishing in my UFO pile.  So, I finally buckled down, ignored the never ending pile of laundry, and FINISHED a project for me.  



I knew I wanted to make this skirt as soon as I saw this lobster version from Tilley and the Buttons. I actually think I had it planned for April or May but I wasn't able to find a cotton print that really spoke to me...well at least one that wouldn't eat up my monthly budget. At the beginning of June I spent the day looking for fabric bargains and doing a little thrifting. As usual, I was mostly unsuccessful, but I did come across the sheet that became this skirt. 


What sold me was the "Hilfiger" all over the place and of course, the $3 price. I knew immediately that it would become my picnic blanket skirt. Now, I'm not really one who cares about name brands. I have a few favorites but as a whole, it just doesn't interest me. I have a soft spot in my heart for Tommy Hilfiger though. I reminds me of my short-lived obsession with all things Hilfiger during my Freshman year of high school. My best friend and I spent all our precious back-to-school money on over-priced Tommy t-shirts. Shirts, I might add, that didn't really fit the girls, even at 15.  But they were "so cool!"  I'm sure my mom just silently shook her head in dismay over this display of consumerism. That was also the year I received a coveted bottle of Tommy Girl perfume. I spent the year covered in flag emblems while smelling like the cover of Seventeen magazine. With this skirt I can channel that girl once again, but in a better fitting less pungent way. 


I planned on finishing this skirt up during a long evening alone, but had to set it aside after I drew blood tice in 5 minutes. Somehow it languished in my sewing nook most of the month. It's really a fairly easy project, though the math did give me pause. I finally finished it just in time to have Mr R take photos on the Seattle waterfront. (Excuse the shoes, we did a ton of walking) I wore it all day and it was really comfy. I was glad to have shorts on under though!  Beware of wind gusts in such a full skirt


The one thing I noticed is that I seem to have problems making waistbands that fit. I used the guidelines in the tutorial and ended up having to remove 6 inches to make it fit nicely. I had a similar issue with my House is Not a Home skirt. I think I removed 5" and it's still a bit loose. I think I'm just afraid of making things too tight and so I don't want to trust my tape measure. Does anyone else have this problem?


I love the buttons up the front. It's a cute little twist on a basic skirt. I do wish they showed up a bit better. I'm not really sure what a better color would have been with such a colorful, busy print. 

All in all it just felt great to finish something that was just for me. July has a lot of selfless sewing in it but I just bought a new, quick pattern that will hopefully give me a chance to get a little me sewing in as well. A win is a win though so I'm going to take it, and my skirt, and run with it. 

10 comments:

  1. I love how it came out. I don't know why I never thought of sheets as fabric before. Thank you for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The internet is so great because we can share inspiration!

      Delete
  2. Adorable! I love that you made matching skirts, too. :) I always have issues with skirts and often get frustrated with them because I have more alterations with them then with dresses. I think some skirt patterns have too much ease in them, though. So, don't always think it's you. I've even gone smaller than my measurements and still had to take them in. I prefer sewing dresses! :)

    Love that fabric and what a thrifty find! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love making dresses too but I do love how quick a skirt can be. There's also something to be said about using a tutorial instead of a million pattern pieces.

      Delete
  3. Super cute skirts and I love that you made one for your daughter! The only real problem I have with skirts is elastic waists in big 4 patterns. They always seem to end up too big!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I've had that problem with big 4 patterns as well. Can't quite figure out why they want the elastic to bigger than my waist.

      Delete
  4. Beautifull skirt!! I like the fabric

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved hearing about your Hilfiger obsession in your youth. Great find, great skirts :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun remembering those times. Thanks for your kind words.

      Delete